Tuesday, February 24, 2009

kellogg's v. brown

So, I rarely take to my blog twice a day (I think this is the first time), but I just HAVE to write about this. I've been keeping quiet about it for a few days now, but after reading this article on Perez Hilton, I just had to make the comparison.

Okay, a few weeks ago, this picture of Michael Phelps smoking a bong hit the internet. After everyone was exposed to that, Phelps lost pretty much all of his endorsements, which is extremely understandable. One of the companies Phelps did ads for was Kellogg's, and they dropped him like a hot potato (excuse the cliche)! Now a lot of people (and some I know personally) are boycotting Kellogg's because of this. In my opinion, that's a bunch of crap. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people smoking weed. If you want to do that, it's your call and it's fine with me. However, what I do have a problem with is people who are supposed to be international role models smoking weed in pictures. If you're going to engage in such behavior, do it at home, behind closed doors, where people can't snap camera phone pictures and sell them to the tabloids. Kellogg's has every right to drop their endorsement if they feel as though Phelps is not representing their company's image. How much do they pay this guy? I'm willing to bet that it's at least five figures. If they don't agree with Phelps taking a huge hit off a bong, they can nullify their contracts and that's that. The same thing goes on the smaller scale. If someone you had working in your house, say a maid, a gardener, a babysitter, whoever it may be, and they were caught smoking weed, wouldn't you fire them? These aren't the kind of people who you would want working for your family, and by association representing you in public. A lot of people are arguing that it's stupid that marijuana is illegal, and that's why they're boycotting Kellogg's. Okay, you're right. It is stupid that marijuana is illegal, but the fact is IT'S STILL ILLEGAL! What Michael Phelps did was an illegal activity. Kellogg's does not want someone who participates in illegal activities representing their company. They terminated his contract. End of story. Also, I wonder how many people realize that Kellogg's sells a lot more than cereal. So here's a list of Kellogg's brands for those of you partaking in the boycott: Keebler, Pop-Tarts, Eggo, Cheez-It, Club, Nutrigrain, Rice Krispies, All-Bran, Special K, Mini-Wheats, Chips Deluxe, Sandies, Morningstar Farms, Famous Amos, and Murray.
I'm sure you've noticed that the list is pretty comprehensive. Good luck going to the grocery store and actually being able to buy something. If you're still eating and purchasing any of these foods when you said you were boycotting Kellogg's brands, I'm going to have to call you out as a big hypocrite. Either put down the Pop-Tart or shut up.

Next topic: Chris Brown beating up Rihanna.

The article I posted about Chris Brown losing all of his radio plays, endorsements, fans, etc. sparked an interest in comparing the two. What Chris Brown did to Rihanna is way more serious than Michael Phelps enjoying some reefer. You can't just physically assault someone like that and get away with it. I've already blogged about that though, so if you're interested in my take on the situation you should go read it. So after my disclaimer on the seriousness of this situation, I'd like to say that both Phelps and Brown are celebrities. They both did something illegal. Both are being punished with dropped endorsements, lost fans, and boycotts. This may be an obvious question, but why are people not getting upset about Chris Brown's lost reputation? Part of my nature is to be controversial, so after you over the initial shock of my question, just think about it. A crime is a crime. Punishment usually follows crime. Both men are being punished. Logically, this follows. Phelps is getting a slap on the wrist compared to what Brown is getting. He's not even being arrested or charged with anything, while other people involved in drug usage that night are! We complain about celebrities getting paid so much for "doing nothing" anyway, so why is it upsetting to a good number of the population that Phelps is being dropped by companies left and right? He no longer represents what they stand for. Whereas, if radio stations kept playing Chris Brown's songs, people would go nuts. DJs and fans don't support a woman-beating bastard such as Brown is, and since this is looked down on in the public eye, people are okay with him losing his fame or whatever you may say is happening to him. All I'm trying to say is that Michael Phelps no longer represents the companies that used to endorse him because of his drug usage. Chris Brown is no longer someone most people want to support because of what he did to his girlfriend. So why is it right to drop Chris Brown but not Michael Phelps? Think about it. To me, that is not a logical argument because, as I stated above, both have misrepresented their sponsors in the public eye. Sure, one crime was way worse than the other, but again, BOTH COMMITTED CRIMES!

Before I publish this, I'd like to re-state that I in no way, shape, or form support Chris Brown laying his hands on Rihanna. What he did was terrible and I, along with many others, will not stand for such behavior.
That said, I leave you something to chew on...

No comments: